WAYANAND GIRIJANA SEVA TRUST, KERALA
Wayanad Girijana Seva Trust a charitable organization registered in the year 2002 with prime and ultimate objective of contributing the process of education with focus on Re-schooling the school drop-outs among the children from the impoverished Tribal (Aboriginal) communities across Wayanad District one of the most backward Districts in Kerala State.
As a prime step towards achieving the goal the Trust started one Residential School named Vivekananda Residential Tribal Vidyalaya in the same year with 42 in a thatched shed and later it was accredited with National Institute of open schooling of (H.R.D. Ministry, Govt. India). Simultaneously job oriented training in Tailoring and embroidery, Bamboo Crafting Computer training are also imparted without disturbing the normal academic classes.
Besides the Residential Tribal School, the Trust takes initiatives in the following sectors :
1. To provide Adult Education to the inhabitance of the adjacent hamlets.
2. To provide free tuition classes for the students belong to the neighboring hamlets of the school.
3. To arrange frequent medical camps in different system of medicines, this is useful for the people of this area.
4. To conduct social awareness camps in each colony by the Trust.
5. To hold Archery Competition among the tribal community being a part of their cultural events.
In 2010 they have given their children very good facilities in school as students were taught by German Volunteer and they have well-qualified staffs who all are PG with B.Ed. Their vocational training is also given as a computer class is there; girls are trained in Tailoring & Embroidery. They have good infrastructure facilities as they have community hall, dining hall, kitchen block, girls’ hostel, toilet blocks etc. Various cultural activities are also organized like fancy dress.
On 7th December the medical team of PHC Korom arranged a class exclusively for girl students and stressed the necessity to preserve sanitation during monthly menstrual period and cleared the doubts arose by students. A cleaning campaign was arranged on the eve of Gandhi Jayanti.